So, I found this recipe some years ago and I must make it every year. It is the best. Try It.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg yolk. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour until well blended. Chill the dough for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/3 at a time to 1/8 inch thickness, refrigerating remaining dough until ready to use. Cut into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light and golden brown. Cool cookies completely before frosting.
- Make sure that you chill the dough. It will keep for up to a week. I wrap mine in plastic wrap in a large ball.
- Do NOT overcook these cookies. They will not seem done … do not worry! They should only get a slight tint of color.
- Use lots of frosting…I used the simple frosting right out of the squeeze bottle (Michael’s) this year for the first time. It is quick and simple. But, I really prefer using homemade frosting from scratch and taking my time. But, time was not on my side so I did what I had to.
- Eat a lot of these….(and then workout)