This is one of the best tasting cakes for the holidays…I pair the cake with Paula Deen Cream Cheese Frosting and it is heaven!
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 8×8-inch cake pan; set aside. In a bowl, combine boiling water and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, ground spices, salt, and baking powder; set aside.
- In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter until light. Beat in brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in molasses and grated ginger, baking-soda mixture, and flour mixture. Beat in eggs.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares; dust with confectioners’ sugar.
The recipe for the cream cheese frosting is one you should just have handy all the time because it can make anything taste heavenly.
You can find the frosting recipe here.
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
In a bowl, blend together the cream cheese and butter. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Stir in the pecans, or reserve them to sprinkle over the frosted cake. Fill and frost the cake when it is completely cool.
Many thanks to Martha & Paula for the fantastic recipes above! One of our favorite combinations!